One month on and we have been busy on our two Sukhoi cold war jets. In our last update we had not even assembled the fuselage but all the internals were ready for assembly.
It took a bit of fiddling to get the two intake bullets to line up. There are no alignment aids supplied by Kopro or OEZ. They relied upon being mounted on the rear bulkhead.
Onto the assembly. The sides do not want to fit together so required lots of persuasion.
The Kopro kit doesn’t depict the M4 version with its heat exchanger ait intake in the vertical tail. So I had to scratchbuild it.
The vertical tails were assembled.
I drilled out the heat exchanger exhaust on the scratchbuilt tail.
I did a lot of rescribing all over these kits as we filled in all the gaps. Then wing assembly started.
Rescribing work on the scratchbuilt tail and wing assembly…
Milliput was used to sculpt the main gear bay scoop. The Cutting Edge resin was blended in to the Su-22 wings.
Getting the horizontal tail to fit on the Su-7 required quite a bit of surgery. On the right are the Cutting Edge resin flaps for the Su-22.
The wings are another headache and needed a lot of filling and clean up.
Adding the wings and tails to the Su-7BKL (left) and Su-22M4 (right).
Adding in the Cutting Edge resin wing parts to the Su-22 (left). Wing roots on both kits needed a lot of filler and clean up.
Blending in the vertical tails (Su-7BKL left and Su-22M4 right) – also quite a job – especially on the Su-22M4 and its scratch-built heat exchanger.
The Su-7BKL with all the wing roots and vertical tail root blended in.
The Su-22M4 all cleaned up.
Now working on the main undercarriage bays. Here is the Su-7BKL with the Eduard photoetch additions. These photos show before and after. On the right I have also started to add the bay lip as the white strip at the edges.